Tuesday, December 16, 2014

How to run a website without a subdomain via dynamic dns or a static IP address.

Alas, isn't there some way I can host my website on my DHCP programmed router with dynamic dns, and get rid of the subdomain that comes with it? 

New Solution

Use freeDNS.afraig.org's DNS servers. They have scripts that you can download that will keep tabs on your public IP address should your ISP decide to change it.

  1. Setup a free account at freeDNS.afraid.org. Free DNS is a fantastic site as it has numerous clients that you can use to update your IP address automatically. They have many that are actually used with your router.  However, in my particular case, since I have this giant, P.O.S. arris box, I will be using a windows program that automatically updates the IP address for me. I recommend you throw the guy a 5 spot donation, because without something like this, we'd be paying $20/month for a static IP address.
  2. Download and install the FreeDNS Update client.
  3. Enter your username & password from your freedns.afraid.org account, and start the program.  It will automatically check and update your IP address at whatever interval you like.

Old Solution


Right now, the best solution I've found is to marry the dns zone file host record (specifically, the 'a' record), with a backup like noip.com that runs dynamic dns. This solution, while not bulletproof, does keep your site online, and the majority of the time it's only you shouldn't have to deal with some oddball subdomain. It doesn't get rid of the subdomains entirely because it relies on the update program that runs in the background to update your subdomain should your dynamic IP address be changed. Unfortunately, it does rely on you keeping tabs on what your IP is so you can fix where your 'a' record points at your domain's registrar. I'm working on ways to automate the process, and will update this post when I have a solution, but you shouldn't have to check your IP but every so often.  As long as your cable modem or dsl modem stays connected, the IP address shouldn't be constantly updating.  I've even tried completely powering down my router, and my IP address remained the same. It's just something to keep an eye on from time to time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to send along any questions, comments, or hacks you'd like to see :)